Why It Matters
Why do we do what we do? And, why would you want to get involved? Those are legitimate questions and we feel we owe you an answer to them. So here goes…
The Purpose of our Lives:
- We were created by God, to glorify Him. The Bible says in Proverbs 16:4, “The LORD has made all for Himself” that is, for His glory. In 1 Corinthians 6: 20, it says, “For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” And in 1 Corinthians 10:31 you’ll find these words, “Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” To glorify God is to “set him highest in your thoughts”, love Him above everyone and everything, and live in a way that pleases Him and makes Him look good.
- Glorifying God brings the greatest joy to our lives. In Matthew 5:3-12, Jesus details the characteristics of those who enjoy true happiness. Such happiness is an inner peace and contentment that is not based on outward circumstances. And it is the possession of those who place God first in their lives.
- Sin has hindered us—even prevented us—from glorifying God. In Romans 3:23, the Bible says, “for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” This sin has affected our marriages and families, our finances, our jobs and careers, our past, present and future. Sin brings misery and death and prohibits us living out the purpose for which we were created.
- Through the death and resurrection of Christ, we can be saved from our sin! The last part of Romans 6:23 goes like this, “the gift of God is eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Romans 5:8 says, “God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” This salvation comes through confession and faith in Jesus. Romans 10:9, “if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”
The People in our Lives:
- At Home. When people come into a relationship with Christ, in salvation, it makes a huge difference at home. Marriages and families are changed when Christ takes first place. For the first time you have the tools you need to make these relationships work the way they were intended.
- At Church. As a Christian, these are the people you want to hang out with. They share your values and vision for life. They are the community of which you want to be a part. You will learn the Bible and grow in your relationship with Christ. You will fellowship and serve. Not only will this group bless your life, but you will contribute significantly to theirs as well.
- At Work. You will begin to see everyone through the eyes of Jesus.
A Plan for our Lives:
- It’s not about you! This is an all-too-common mistake people make, thinking that becoming a Christian is intended to only make their lives better. It will do that! But there’s so much more. Think of all the people in your community, your friends, your family members, who don’t know Jesus. It’s up to you to tell them. God has planned for you to make a big-time difference in the lives of people around you.
- It’s not about now. We live in time, but we live for eternity. Everything that goes on in our lives is preparation for death. That means we should be more interested in who we are than what we do or, how much we have. We’re here to encourage and equip you to get ready for heaven and help others get ready as well.
Life can be tough. We know that. And we do what we do here at Oak Grove Church to lighten your load and make it a little easier. We’re not perfect! But, we can guarantee time spent with us, in pursuit of God, will not be wasted. If you’re looking for a church home, or simply need one, we hope you’ll give Oak Grove a try.